Frequently Asked Questions

Questions regarding the NARR standards:

Do the NARR standards require live-in staff?

The NARR Standards do NOT require live-in staff. They also do not prohibit live-in staff. Note that house managers/leaders are often referred to as staff.

If my program is a Level 1 or Level 2, do I have to submit documentation regarding policies and procedures for staff?

Any programs with unpaid staff or volunteers should still have policies in place regarding day to day interaction with residents, especially for those in leadership roles, including job/role descriptions. Job requirements and descriptions for owners/operators are required as well.

How do I know what standards are required for my level of housing?

On the right side of your NARR standards document, each level is listed in order. If the standard has a check mark listed under your level, it is required. If it has an 'R' it is recommended but not required. 

What do I do if I don't understand what a standard is asking for?

For more clarification, please refer to the NARR standards compendium listed under the 'Become Certified' tab of the MARR website, or reach out to the MARR team.

Are background checks a requirement for certification? 

Yes. A current background check (within the last 12 months) is required from “ICHAT” or any other entity that can complete a similar background check on all owners, directors, employees and chief financial officers that handle the day-to-day operations of your organization (not to include an unpaid house manager/resident residing in the home) This requirement is listed on your application.

As far as policies go, only level 4 housing is required to have written policies and procedures regarding background checks, according to the NARR standards.

Questions regarding your Level 1, 2, 3, or 4 document submission:

Can I save my online form to resume later?

No, the form must be completed in one sitting.

How long do I have to complete my online form?

New recovery programs being certified for the first time must submit all correct documentation before your site review will be scheduled.

Recovery programs renewing their certification have only 30 days after the date of site review to submit all documentation along with any additional requirements noted by your inspector. 

If an extension is required, a formal notice must be submitted via email. 

What kinds of files are eligible to attach and submit on my online form?

 PDF's, Microsoft documents, and screenshots/pictures of documents are acceptable as long as they are clear.

Does each document for each policy all have to be uploaded separately on my online form? 

Preferably, yes. For example, it is not necessary to separate whole documents such as "Guest Expectations" or "Code of Ethics" into individual sheets, but it is expected that you upload those 2 titles of documents separately from each other. 

Try to limit individual uploads to less than 10 pages in length. Multiple pages of documents must be properly highlighted to help easily pinpoint the policy.  

It is understood that some documents will be eligible to upload more than once for multiple standards. Your guest expectations for example may have anywhere from 2 to 20 policies listed within that one document and that is ok. Policies do not have to be individually listed in separate documents.   

Do I have to submit my documents online?

No. Documents can be submitted one of 3 ways as stated under the 'Become Certified' tab of the MARR website.

Questions regarding your application:

Is there a fee to submit an application? 

Yes. There is $300 application fee for every initial application. Fees will be waived for any currently certified programs that need to submit any additional applications for the opening of a new residence. 

Can I pay my fees online?

As of right now, only check or money orders are an option to pay any fees. MARR is currently working to incorporate online payments.

How do I know what level of housing I am?

Please refer to either the 'Home' or 'Become Certified' tab of the MARR website to determine your housing level. 

Can I submit my application online?

No, but there will be an option to do so soon.

Do I need to submit another application when it comes time to renew my certification?


Questions regarding your site review:

When can I schedule my site review?

Programs renewing their certification, are able to schedule their site review after payment has been received. 

Recovery programs being certified for the first time must submit payment along with all NARR standards documentation before a site review will be scheduled.  

How much does it cost to schedule a site review?

There is an initial application fee of $300 along with the current annual rate of $300 for each recovery residence/address having 16 or less beds. After the initial inspection has taken place, a $100 fee will be incurred for each inspection required of the recovery residence other than the annual inspection. You can refer to the last page of your application for this question as well.

How long will the site review take at each house? 

The initial site review typically takes a little longer, about 45 min - 1-hour per home. Once certified, the annual site visit is closer to 20-30 minutes per home.

How often will there be a site review? 

Scheduled site reviews are completed annually. Every program is subject to a “randomized” audit. MARR may  stop by any address at any time to assure standards are being met.


Does MARR meet with the clients in the home? 

Yes, MARR has authority to speak with individuals living in the homes and may do this privately.

What if I can’t get things corrected within the 30-day time frame? 

An additional 30-days can be requested, in writing.  


What if I can’t finish everything after the additional 30-day extension?

Programs can re-apply for a MARR Certification after 90-days. This would require the operator to pay another $300 application fee along with a $300 fee for each residence with 16 beds or less. 

What if I want to close a location that was just reviewed? 

Any changes to a home need to be reported to MARR in writing within 30-days of change, (Closing a home, opening a new home, decreasing or increasing beds, change in gender served or population, etc.) 

If our organization decides we can’t continue with the Certification process, can we get a refund? 

Every situation will be assessed on a case by case basis, but MARR is not in the habit of giving refunds. MARR will assess the situation to determine the amount of time, work and effort already put in to complete the review process.  


After a home is certified, is there a refund if the home needs to close before the end of the certified year? 

No. Once the review process has been completed and the home is certified MARR does not give refunds.

Do I have to have a license before I can become certified by MARR?” 

No. Depending on which county you are in and if you are contracting with a local PHIP, they may require the home to be licensed by LARA. MARR does not require recovery residences to be licensed.  


What if I want to change my recovery home to a Level IV? Will MARR change my certificate to state we are a Level IV? 

Yes, MARR can make a change to the certificate based on a change that takes place at a particular home/location/address. Level IV is Treatment, and is required to have a LARA License in order to provide this service. Before MARR could note an entity as being a Level IV, MARR would need to have a copy of the LARA License for our records.

Questions regarding housing levels:

 How do I know what level of housing I am?

Please refer to either the 'Home' or 'Become Certified' tab of the MARR website to determine your housing level.   

How do I become a level 4?

You must provide treatment to become a level 4 home such as inpatient, outpatient or intensive outpatient.